609 N. Steele St.
Sanford, N.C. 27330
An editorial position at a large daily newspaper.
B.A., Political Science,
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
• On staff at the Daily Tar Heel student newspaper
THE SANFORD HERALD, Sanford, N.C. (6/04-Present)
Sports/News Editor (8/2010 – present)
• Extensively involved in the paper’s switch to a consolidated design desk based in Durham.
• Act as second-in-command at the paper, leading the news desk when the editor-in-chief is absent.
• Helped guide The Herald to its first-ever ‘first place’ award in the General Excellence category of the NC Press Association’s annual awards contest.
• Run the daily operations of the paper’s sports desk, including budgeting, compiling statistics and briefs, coverage of games for seven high schools.
• Write stories, columns and features nightly as the paper’s only sports reporter.
• Update the paper’s website nightly.
• Co-host a weekly radio talk show, “The Rant,” focusing on topics and headlines from the paper and live interviews (since 2007)
News Editor (6/2008 – 8/2010)
• Wrote editorials and served on the paper’s editorial board.
• Laid out 6-12 pages daily, including a lifestyles section and the front section, using Adobe InDesign.
• Updated the paper’s Web site each night with all stories appearing in the next edition and throughout the day with breaking news.
• Covered the 2009 inauguration of President Barack Obama.
• Processed pages in a computer-to-plate composing shop.
• Wrote a weekly column for the section, ‘On the Street,’ highlighting new business openings and other happenings in the area.
• Wrote general news stories as necessary.
Reporter/Business Editor (6/06 – 5/08)
• Wrote 12 to 15 local stories and at least two features per week
• Wrote a standing weekly feature on religious topics.
• Primary beat writer for government, economics and health issues.
• Covered national, state and local elections.
Sportswriter (5/04 – 6/06)
• Wrote eight to twelve local stories and one feature per week
• Published three to six Quark pages nightly.
• Covered the 2005 U.S. Open in Pinehurst.
• Covered a local high school’s bid for two state championships in baseball.
Correspondent/Page Designer (5/04 – 7/04)
• Produced daily agate (scoreboard) page for Sports section.
• Built nightly Durham Bulls’ box scores
• Researched nightly scores, statistics, standings, transactions and all other aspects of the sports world through Internet research and personal correspondence.
North Carolina Press Association Awards
Awards have been a great source of pride for our paper over the past three years. The year before I first became an editor, in 2006, the paper won just three awards. My first year as an editor we won seven, then nine, then 14 in 2009 and a record 25 in 2010. Here are my personal awards:
First place, General Excellence (staff)
First place, deadline news reporting
– For coverage of a fire that destroyed the Chatham County Courthouse
First place, news enterprise reporting (staff)
– Lead story in an in-depth, five-part look at a local sales tax referendum
First place, appearance and design (editors)
– Shared with Editor and Sports Editor; for overall design of the paper
Second place, business writing
– For a story on a lawn and garden business closing after 60 years
Second place, news section design (editors)
Second place, feature section design
– Individual award for design of biweekly lifestyles section
Second place, general excellence for web site (staff)
Third place, multimedia project (staff)
First place, feature section design
Second place, news feature writing
Second place, video production (staff)
Second place, headline writing
First place, spot news reporting (staff)
First place, overall design (staff)
Second place, headline writing
Second place, General Excellence (staff)
Third place, profile feature writing (staff)
Third place, news reporting